Our 2017 Year in Review offers a summary of LBA’s activities and accomplishments. Here is a glimpse of how LBA government relations, education and communication efforts elevate your membership benefits.
LBA’s government relations team is trusted, respected and dedicated to promoting and preserving the pro-banking environment in Louisiana. LBA saw continued legislative success in 2017, including:
- During the Regular Session, two LBA-requested bills—Act 62 by Rep. Ray Garofalo and Act 301 by Rep. Rob Shadoin—passed the legislature and were signed into law to help banks and their customers deal with the shortage of notaries in some areas of the state.
- The Regular Session was a fiscal session that allowed tax measures to be introduced. Numerous bills were defeated during the session that could have subjected banks and their holding companies to new layers of taxation.
Monitor, Track, Act
During the 2017 state legislative sessions, 1,765 bills & resolutions were reviewed by LBA & 100% of the bills that were identified by LBA as harmful to banks and their customers were either favorably amended or defeated during the state legislative process.
- 1,733 messages were sent through LBA’s VoterVoice Call to Action campaigns to members of the Louisiana Congressional Delegation
- 50,000+ emails were sent to distribute the 45 LBA Government Relations Update bulletins produced in 2017
- LBA State PAC 2017 contributions totaled $96,886 from 76 banks.
- LBA Fed PAC 2017 contributions totaled $75,898 from 657 individuals.
- We had 36 members of Cliff's Club for 2017, which recognizes institutions whose employees and directors collectively give $1,000 or more to the Fed PAC.
- LBA member banks and bankers have contributed a total of more than $1 million to the LBA PACs since 2011.
LBA is the leading provider of high-quality, cost-effective professional development training for Louisiana banks. Our education opportunities provide an invaluable opportunity to network with peers and stay current on important issues affecting our rapidly changing industry.
- Total attendees for 2017 LBA’s Annual Convention & Exposition: 496
- 4,000+ bankers have graduated from LBA's Bankers School for Supervisory Training since the school began in 1973
- There are 25 active LBA Peer Groups & the number continues to grow at the request of bankers. New peer groups added in 2017: HMDA, PWR & Accounting
In 2017, LBA launched the PWR – Professional Women Revitalized
peer group & webpage, with resources regularly added and a monthly guest blog.
The Louisiana Bankers Education Council turned 60 in 2017. The council continues to accomplish its mission of facilitating banker development and promoting financial literacy outreach to Louisiana bankers through their various programs, including the Bank-at-School program, Simply Banking study guides, College Freshman Scholarships, 365 to Rich Bank Shadow Day, Leadership School, partnering with Louisiana JumpStart Coalition and managing the Louisiana Bankers Patrick Spencer/FISC Education Foundation which funds the above programs.
Bank Counsel Section
The LBA Bank Counsel Section consists of bank attorneys that work as both in-house and outside counsel. The section members, under the direction of the Bank Counsel Committee members, assist in drafting legislation and work closely with the LBA government relations and legal staff throughout the year.
Endorsed Products & Associate Members
LBA Endorsed Products
and Associate Members
provide banks with superior products and services. Our partners are industry leaders who share our high standard for quality service.
14 Total LBA Endorsed Vendors
Through LBA Communications, we keep bankers informed, delivering critical industry information to members about legislative and regulatory changes as well as conferences, programs and products and services that are available to our members.
On average, each month 3,000 visitors together made about 8,000 visits to our website, totaling more than 35,000 page views as they browsed. We have more than 9,500 registered website users and our most popular pages continue to be the Education Calendar, Classifieds, Peer Group Pages, Press Releases & Photo Gallery, The Louisiana Banker newsletter and The Bankers Directory.
The LBA regularly posts resources covering topics like financial literacy, identity theft and emergency preparedness on Facebook
that can be re-posted or re-tweeted on our members’ social media outlets to benefit their customers.
Top posts for the year, each with 2,800+ impressions:
- Most popular tweet in 2017 with 5,000+ impressions: "Next 30 minutes ... FACE TO FACE.” @tom_peters
- Top LinkedIn post in 2017 with 3,900 impressions: Congrats to Home Bank's Joseph Zanco on being named Junior Achievement of Acadiana’s Business Person of the Year! http://ow.ly/pzhR30aZsvA